“Dear Michael Loscalzo,
Congratulations! Your personal essay has been awarded a prize - first, second or a third - in the first annual Writing Program Writing Contest. There were over 330 entries, and your work was judged to be in the top 5%.
Please join us on Tuesday, April 23 at 5:45 pm at the SVA Library (second floor, 380 Second Avenue) to receive your prize. The event will start promptly at 6 pm.
Please confirm that you are attending. I will have an announcement about a future publication in which your work will appear.”
I’m not even sure how to process this or even what to say.
You never expect, as a writer, that your own words will one day be worthy of much or even noticed, simply because we write because it’s what we do - it’s in our blood. It’s as natural as breathing - we do it because it’s what we love.
And to have this opportunity…it…it leaves me speechless.
For months I’ve searched for a proper way to express myself, to allow my mind to wonder and find exactly what it was that I’ve been searching for and though I may not have all the answers, I believe by asking these questions that it has directed me in a direction I can be happy with in the end of where college brings us and what challenges it creates throughout - how the overall experience is what makes us who we are in the end.
I’m not even sure if this is making sense but this is what I’ve come to believe and I think that’s enough. I’m just honored to have this opportunity and words alone can’t express that very sentence. But honestly, to all of you who have through the course of reading whatever it is that I’ve put on here, I thank you from the very bottom of my heart. Because it’s your support that gets me through the hardships of this world and you all inspire me to write and not to give up when at times it seems as though that’s the only choice I have left.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
For those who are curious, here’s a link towards the essay that I submitted.
#school of visual arts
- likeafish likes this
- lovegrowswherevershegoes likes this
- standtallandgrow likes this
- thequeenofindecision likes this
- internaladventures likes this
- falser said: Congratulations! I truly devour every word you leave on your tumblr. I’m glad you embrace your gift. Knowing we both go to SVA, I wondered if you’d enter the contest when I saw the fliers posted about. I’m glad you share. :)
- falser likes this
- bumb1ebee likes this
- tkkm likes this
- loveandfolly likes this
- lyss-idk likes this
- mindandheartatwar said: Congratulations!! Wow! This is fantastic! SO happy for you! :-)
- mindandheartatwar likes this
- perpetuallyephemeral said: :) You deserve it.
- princeps likes this
- karatastugce reblogged this from beneath-a-lonely-place and added:
- themarkoflucifer likes this
- themarkoflucifer reblogged this from beneath-a-lonely-place
- karatastugce likes this
- carytijerina likes this
- madeline-zuluaga-art likes this
- theycallme-bigpoppa likes this
- viciousfm likes this
- stuck-in-a-stare said: Amazing! Congratulations :)
- stuck-in-a-stare likes this
- honeydear-honeytears likes this
- kelly-literary likes this
- amazelife said: whoop whoop!!! sva reppin!
- amazelife likes this
- wootgabby likes this
- robogreaser said: dude, that’s awesome. congrats
- lorde-oftherings likes this
- mari-fucking-ana likes this
- demon-ology likes this
- beneath-a-lonely-place posted this